Thursday, April 21, 2016

Continuing the long strange trip...

Well, I'm almost at the 6 month mark for my switchover to a ketogenic/LCHF way of life.  It's getting easier in some ways, a struggle in others, but it's working. Since my last update, my short acting insulin before eating has been cut from the December level of 20+ units before each meal to possibly 3-6 units before a meal, sometimes none depending on my sugar level.  I am also starting to cut my basal insulin -something I thought would never happen- from 140 units a day to 114 units at the moment.  It simply amazes me that I am JUST NOT HUNGRY anymore. I am calm, focused and content. I never knew what it was like to feel like this, it's a weird experience!  I've even had to take up new hobbies... more later.  Finally, my blood pressure (with reduced meds) is running about 118/72 on average.  If I accidentally skip my evening meds - it happens - it's around 123/82.  All in all, things are still heading in the right direction.  The weight is S-L-O-W-L-Y turning downward too, but not as fast as say, Butter Bob Briggs did, but then, he's a guy.

Since my last, long ago post, a new book has come out that I must recommend. If you have ever struggled to a) control your blood sugar or b) lose weight or c) understand that IT"S NOT YOU, IT"S YOUR BODY, you must read "The Obesity Code" by Dr. Jason Fung .   It explains everything, finally. Dr. Fung is a brave man in my book, because he is publicly lambasting the medical establishment for not taking care of patients in the best way possible - helping them understand their issues and helping them learn how to manage them. If you're an infogeek like I am, spend your next rainy day perusing his website: www.intensivedietarymanagement.com  it's brilliant.

I have also started a group on Facebook called Keto Sweeties (T2 diabetes LCHF tips, tricks & support).  I want to provide encouragement and information (but not recipes -enough places for those! see below) for others beginning their keto diabetic journey.  It's having a slow start, but it's getting there.  I want T2 diabetics to understand that we can improve our health metrics, it's not a losing disease, it can be managed.  I focus on passing along information, sharing personal growth points and encouraging a more mindful way of being diabetic.  When you aren't hungry all the time, it's easier to plan and manage your health.  There are enough experts out there (see below) that I don't need to be another one of them, I can just be a guide to help sort things out (from my perspective, of course, so be aware...) Ask to join if you are interested.

Finally, having all this extra energy and creating more time because I'm not tired all the time has given me the chance to grow in a couple of other ways. On vacation in Branson, my husband and I stopped in Cedar Creek dulcimers as I've always loved that kind of music. I'm not brave enough to start with a full size dulcimer, but I did find a little lap harp that I've invested in to play with when I'm feeling stressed. It's a great alternative to stuffing my face!  I've also jumped on board the adult coloring band wagon and find a lot of relaxation in patterns, colors and quiet time.  You'll notice exercise is strangely absent from my "new" hobbies. It's still my biggest struggle, but I am getting in more walking because my wonderful husband ceiling mounted a TV in front of the treadmill, now I can watch my series of walking tours (Rome, England, Singapore) DVD's while I'm putting in the steps, but it's still my least favorite thing to do!

I'm getting more done at work in less time, my house is cleaner and I just want to spread the word that if you've ever felt scattered, fat, tired and overwhelmed, maybe LCHF is something to try for just 8 weeks.  Don't cut your calories though, as your hunger decreases, you'll naturally eat less.  Tuning into your natural hunger, and trusting your body to let you know when it's satisfied happens naturally as you INCREASE YOUR DIETARY FAT, cut carbs and get more sleep.  I wish you success, peace & calm as you practice the progress through your journey too.

Here are the new resources I alluded to above:
http://ketogenicwoman.com/ - one of the first FB groups I joined is from this blogger - SO helpful

http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/  - Maria Emmerich has fabulous cookbooks and many others that are crystal clear and helpful for beginners to lifers.


http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/  - my most "favorit-ist" at the moment.  Amazing recipes, great information and lots of encouragement.

http://www.nutrition-coalition.org/  - if you're an activist type who likes to participate in helping get the word out about science based evidence on nutrition, you'll like this one.

http://www.livinlavidalowcarb.com/ - the doorway to the world of all things Jimmy Moore and another of the best, most encouraging sources of information I've found.

Enjoy!